Dindayal Tamra Bhasma
Tamra Bhasma Uses: It is used in the treatment of Pitta and Kapha predominance diseases, skin diseases, helminthiasis, obesity, anorexia, tuberculosis, pthisis, chronic respiratory conditions, cough, cold, asthma, eye diseases, anemia, piles, dyspepsia.
It has scraping quality. Hence used in treating high cholesterol. It is also widely researched in cancer treatments.
Use of Tamra bhasm in poisoning:
In olden days, when there was poisoning, first vomiting and purgation was induced to remove remnant poison in the gut. Then, to cleanse the heart, Tamra bhasma was administered to the patient. After that, Swarna bhasma is administered for a long period of time.
Effect on Tridosha – Balances Pitta and Kapha.
Tamra Bhasma dosage:
250 mg once or twice a day before or after food or as directed by Ayurvedic doctor.
It is traditionally administered along with ghee, honey milk or with sugar.
Tamra Bhasm side effects:
- This medicine should only be taken under strict medical supervision.
- Self medication with this medicine may prove to be dangerous.
- Over-dosage may cause severe poisonous side effects.
- It is best avoided in pregnant and lactating mothers and chidren.
- Take this medicine in precise dose and for limited period of time, as advised by doctor.
- Keep out of reach and sight of children. Store in a dry cool place.
Tamra Bhasm ingredients, preparation? :
Shuddha Tamra – Purified Copper – 100 g.
Purified Copper is added with purified Sulphur, ground well, (or it Copper ground with aloe vera juice) taken in thin cakes are prepared and heated in a closed container under 500 – 700 degree celcius for 24 hours to obtain black coloured Bhasma. (Copper Calx)
Reference: Ayurveda Prakasha 3/145
Expiry date: 5 years from the date of manufacture.
How to test Tamra Bhasm – It should float on water, when gently placed on the calm water surface.
It should be black in colour, microfine powder.
When it is added to sour curds, and left for sometime, if curds turns blue, then Tamra Bhasma is poisonous and should not be used.